Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Living Peanut Free

So some sad news - Audrey was diagnosed with a peanut allergy on Friday.  She had peanut butter for the first time when we were at my parents house over Christmas and developed a horrible rash, vomiting and swollen hands.  We rushed her to the emergency room where they gave her meds and she was fine after a few hours.  Back in Iowa City, we met with a pediatric allergist who tested her sensitivity to eggs, shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews and pecans.  Peanuts and eggs caused a reaction large enough to be considered an allergy.  Eggs weren't as severe and since we've given Audrey baked goods and quiche (she LOVES quiche!) without any side effects, the doctor said to keep doing what we're doing but to be aware that she could have a reaction.  The more raw the egg, the more likely a reaction could occur. 

I realize that this isn't the end of the world but I'm really shocked and upset.  I thought we did everything right while I was pregnant and we're not allergic to anything so I was convinced our children would not have any allergies.  The only thing I can think is that I ate peanut butter everyday for breakfast while pregnant.  You'd think that this would have given Audrey enough of it so she wouldn't be allergic but maybe it was the exact opposite.  Whatever it was, I told Bill that I'm not touching any peanuts when baby #2 comes along.  I'm scared for Audrey's future - group functions, going out to eat, going to a friend's house, getting coffee at a coffee shop and not realizing they crushed up a candybar and sprinkled it on top (this one hit me as I was enjoying coffee!).  I think I'm also mourning the fact that she will never have the pleasure of eating a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, delicious Thai food, Buckeyes or a yummy PB&J with a nice cold glass of milk.  20% of kids outgrow peanut allergies by age 4 so I'm hoping she's in that 20%.  I've also heard of a few medical studies now where children are given increasingly larger doses of peanuts until they become immune.  I would not be opposed to getting her into a study if we could find one.  Until then, we are Epi-Pen carriers and I will be constantly worried that we'll actually have to use it.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Laura began this blog with the intention of someday chronicling our children's lives since our family is spread out from east coast to west. We wanted a way for family to get up-to-date news. Since we had no children at the time, it became a blog that followed our (her) foodie thoughts. Cooking, eating out and drinking wine are huge hobbies of ours so it only seemed fitting. Now that children are here we're going to attempt to meld the two together. You will notice "Foodies" and "Family" links at the top left of the page underneath the header photos. Use these links to focus in on the entries you want to read and bypass the others. We hope you enjoy.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP