Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Favorite Food Things (Again)

This post has been around the block a few times but I still love it so I will post it yet again. So, for the third time, here is my post of my favorite food things with a few additions....

If you know me at all, you know I have a slight obsession with all things food. I do, it's true. It's embarrassing actually. I have told co-workers that I think I'm the only one at the gym who runs on the treadmill while watching Food Network. What's worse is that I eat more than most men I know. I've seriously been out to eat with guys who will say "I'll have the lettuce" and I'll, in turn, order one of everything. This really happened a while back but it involved sushi. Ah, sushi. I order 3-4 rolls for myself and that may or may not include the miso soup, salad and complimentary edamame. What you may not know about me is that eating is a hobby. Not some emotional, I eat because I'm not loved, hobby. An actual, I appreciate good food in all its glory, hobby. Now, that's not to say I don't also really appreciate Taco Bell, specifically, the double-decker taco supreme, nachos supreme and bean burritos with no onions. Not only do I appreciate good food, I also really enjoy cooking. There's just something about sipping some amazing red wine, listening to jazz and creating a masterpiece over your gas stove. To say that cooking can be an aphrodisiac is an understatement. Cook me a fabulous dinner and I'm yours. Hell, I'll cook for you, same thing. I decided to write up a list of my favorite food things, not that you care, but I'm using this as a journal of sorts for myself. So here I go in no particular order:

  • Ratatouille - the movie not the food, although I have had some killer ratatouille, this is honest to God my favorite movie now. I want Little Chef.
  • Wine Lover's Cookbook by Sid Goldstein– aka Bill's best Christmas present to himself. It was for me, of course. Hands down the best cookbook in the world. It revolutionized the way Bill and I eat, cook and drink wine. Fabulous!




  • Raw oysters on the half shell with a hint of horseradish in the cocktail sauce
  • Hand-packed burgers grilled medium rare. In Iowa City, I recommended Sluggers (RIP Sluggers - victim of Flood 2008). In St. Louis – the best burger I have EVER had is at O'Connell's Pub. Did I mention that it was only $5?
  • 8 oz. dry-aged filet mignon cooked medium - always hoping it's slightly medium rare
  • Francis Ford Coppola's Sofia Blanc de Blancs – sparkling white wine, slightly sweet, not dry. Can get it in (gasp!) a can for romantic picnics.
  • Mashed potatoes - never artificial. Even better if they're made with whole cream and have a touch of garlic.
  • Porcini mushrooms
  • Portobello mushrooms and their mini-me Crimini mushrooms.
  • Rachael Ray's 365 No Repeats cookbook and Just in Time cookbook. Honestly, for anyone who wants to break into the cooking thing and have some really excellent meals. I highly recommend these. This is how I got my start.




  • My gas stove. I'll never own an electric range again.
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Crusty soft bread paired with a personal dipping bowl of extra-virgin olive oil with parmigiano-reggiano cheese and freshly ground pepper. Thanks to my sister-in-law, an almost nightly event in my house.
  • Parmigiano-reggiano
  • Seghesio Zinfandel Sonoma County
  • Duck breast – I have an amazing recipe from Wine Lover's CB if anyone is interested.
  • Lamb chops grilled medium rare – ditto
  • Sam's Club because they seem to understand and value my obsession, allowing me to buy all of my favorite foods for a mere fraction of the Hy-Vee price. Not to mention, their wine selection is pretty good.
  • Binny's Beverage Depot in my beloved Chicago because they understand my need for quality wine.
  • Napa Valley/Sonoma – one of the best vacations ever and I can't wait to go back
  • Freshly ground pepper and salt
  • Fresh herbs but I love my dried ones just the same
  • Shallots – I had no idea what they were until R Ray but I use them all the time now
  • Jazz because a meal is never complete without some sweet music
  • Bordeaux – a must with a good steak
  • Sam Adam's Light
  • Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab and no, this is NOT Joe's Crab Shack. That's the one thing I'll get pissy about. I've never been to a restaurant that can do both a great steak AND great seafood but this place has gone above and beyond.
  • Stone crab – harvested between October and May of each year, fisherman only take one claw from each crab and throw them back to regenerate. Eaten cold with a yummy mustard sauce. Delish!
  • Whole beef tenderloins. We get these from Sam's and carve them ourselves. We usually get 6-7 filets mignons, 1 roast and enough extra meat (called chain meat) to make 2 meals of fajitas or Philly cheesesteaks. Much more economical than buying all of that separately – trust me.
  • Toasted walnuts
  • Ice cream – best dessert there is. Specifically, pralines and cream. I'll take ice cream over any cake, pie or crème brulee you can throw at me. The best ice cream I've ever had is right here in Iowa City – Heyn's on 1st Ave. If I ever live in a different city, I will pay to have them ship me some in dry ice. I'm not kidding.
  • Buttercream icing – the old school kind that is kind of crunchy and is so sweet it makes your teeth hurt. None of this creamy, whipped icing they make today. Blah!
  • My cookbook holder. It's my friend.
  • Large bamboo cutting boards
  • Good knives, especially my Furi Santoku knife
  • Iron Chef America and the original
  • Good Eats – Alton Brown is goofy but is a genius
  • Throwdown with Bobby Flay
  • Goat cheese
  • Sushi – Oyama is the best in Iowa City followed by Takanami
  • Mexican – In Toledo, Ventura's and Magdalena's. For the number of Mexican restaurants in Iowa City, none of them really do it for me.
  • Thai food – one of the things I miss most about Chicago, although, Osha in San Francisco is the best ever.
  • My mother-in-law's Filipino turon – bananas and cheese wrapped in pastry dough and fried. I think she's appalled at how many I eat when she makes them.
  • Cherry cobbler a la mode
  • Frushi – fruit sushi at Orange in Chicago
  • Peanut sauce
  • Mint mojitos – In Iowa City, I recommend Atlas, especially when they use spearmint
  • Wendy's fries, and as an honorable mention, Wendy's fries dipped in a Frosty
  • General Tso's Chicken - the best is at No. 1 Chinese in Columbus on High St.
  • In-N-Out Burger
  • Chipotle
  • Big breakfasts on the weekend, homemade or at Hamburg Inn in Iowa City
  • Seattle’s Best coffeeshops
  • Caribou Coffee's specialty drinks – Turtle Tracks and Campfire Mocha are my faves.
  • Intelligensia coffee
  • Java House in Iowa City - their German Chocolate Mocha latte is like heaven
  • Bacon sandwiches – that's it, just bacon on buttered toast.
  • Bacon, egg and cheese bagel sandwiches from McDonalds or Bruegger's Bagels. Not necessarily because they are high quality, because they're not, but because they fulfill my breakfast comfort food requirement.
  • St. Francis vineyard – my favorite stop in wine country
  • Water with a cucumber slice – so much more refreshing than lemon water. You have to try it!
  • Anything my mom makes
  • Italian sausage
  • The McDonald's menu song – you know, Big Mac, McDLT, a Quarter Pounder with some cheese…. I'm mostly just impressed that I can still sing the whole thing. Try me.
  • The now defunct Café Luciano's in Chicago – best Italian food paired with live jazz and cigar lounge. What more could you ask for? Has anyone been to their location in Evanston?
  • Foie gras - best I've had is at Pangea in Toronto
  • Coconut shrimp with an orange remoulade
  • Red beans and rice at Remoulade's in New Orleans
  • Rain in Toronto - this is the restaurant featured on Food Network HD's Made to Order. The most amazing food experience I've ever had. Too ridiculous to even try to explain.
  • After an awesome meal, smoking a great cigar on our patio with port or coffee
  • Sour cream
  • Tabasco's Habenero or mild Jalapeno sauce
  • Caramel sauce
  • Chocolate truffles - in Iowa City, Motley Cow makes them on site for dessert. They are awesome!
  • Marco's Pizza - headquartered in Toledo and a location up in Cedar Rapids!! - you'd think that I would have found better pizza living in Chicago but not being a deep dish fan, that was not the case. Marco's wins hands down every time. I recommend the crust toppers.
  • Fat Tire beer
  • Ken's Chunky Blue Cheese dressing - a must with hot wings
  • Imo's Pizza in St. Louis
  • Skyline Chili from Cincinnati
  • The Hummus Yummus omelet from The Local Yolk in Manhattan Beach, CA - sun dried tomatoes, goat cheese, green onions, spicy hummus and diced tomatoes. Sounds weird but it was SO good.
End of the list for now…. I'll keep adding bullets as I think of them. So do I sound like a food snob? Maybe. Do I care? Not really because I know that it's not that I'm a food snob, because trust me I'll eat anything, it's just that I seek out and appreciate good food. It's all subjective, of course, what I like is totally different than the next guy. I have a food motto, I'll try anything once. It kills me when people won't even try a food because they claim not to like it and yet, shocker, they've never even had it. I'm sorry, but you're missing out. Give it one chance and if you don't like it then fine, gloat because you were right, but you just may discover your next favorite food.

1 comment:

About This Blog

Laura began this blog with the intention of someday chronicling our children's lives since our family is spread out from east coast to west. We wanted a way for family to get up-to-date news. Since we had no children at the time, it became a blog that followed our (her) foodie thoughts. Cooking, eating out and drinking wine are huge hobbies of ours so it only seemed fitting. Now that children are here we're going to attempt to meld the two together. You will notice "Foodies" and "Family" links at the top left of the page underneath the header photos. Use these links to focus in on the entries you want to read and bypass the others. We hope you enjoy.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP