Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Peanut Curse

I don't know what it is but there's definitely something in our blood that is causing our offspring to have problems.  At Vivian's 1 year checkup, we had her tested for a peanut allergy as a precaution since Audrey has one.  I didn't think much of it.  In fact, I completely forgot about it until yesterday when I realized we never got the results.  It didn't really matter though because I was 100% sure that it would be negative.  I should have known something was up when Viv's doctor returned my call today and not a nurse.  I was absolutely stunned when she told me that Vivian is allergic and is already a Class 4 out of 6.  Same as Audrey.  I almost started crying while I was still on the phone with the doctor but kept it together until we hung up.  Then I sobbed and then got mad.  Again, same reaction I had with Audrey's news.  The only bright side is that now the girls are on equal food footing and I don't need to monitor separate meals or worry if they steal each other's food.  They can eat the same things and I can breathe freely.   The doctor mentioned getting both girls tested again in a few years and possibly having them participate in medically supervised food challenges where they are fed tiny, tiny amounts of peanut.  I'm not getting my hopes up because we know that Audrey's allergy only got worse so I'm assuming the same will be true in a few years.  But anyway, with no history of food allergies for me or Bill, I have no clue what has caused this in our girls and it makes me really sad and really angry.  Just one more thing for momma to worry about I guess.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Laura began this blog with the intention of someday chronicling our children's lives since our family is spread out from east coast to west. We wanted a way for family to get up-to-date news. Since we had no children at the time, it became a blog that followed our (her) foodie thoughts. Cooking, eating out and drinking wine are huge hobbies of ours so it only seemed fitting. Now that children are here we're going to attempt to meld the two together. You will notice "Foodies" and "Family" links at the top left of the page underneath the header photos. Use these links to focus in on the entries you want to read and bypass the others. We hope you enjoy.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP