Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloween! (sort of)

Even though Trick or Treating wasn't in our future thanks to Hurricane Sandy, Halloween started off as a great day and I was able to get some pics of the girls in their Halloween cuteness.
Here comes trouble! In her super cute shirt from Aunt Dawn:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one!
Black cat socks also from Aunt Dawn which happened to match her black cat shirt:
Skulls and crossbones:
At school in her witch bib:
Where's Audrey??
Pumpkin deely boppers from her Ninang Ay Ay!

Then the scary part of Halloween kicked in.  I was heading home from daycare, going about 35mph and changed lanes to avoid a big truck that was stopped in the right hand lane.  An SUV pulled out of an apartment complex right in front of the stopped truck - so they couldn’t see me coming - to make a left hand turn and I just t-boned them.  I hit the brakes, but it was raining so I had no chance to stop, and hit them about 3 seconds later, if that.  My passenger side airbag deployed (but oddly not mine - I think because my car slid slightly to the left) and my glasses went flying off (a fireman found them for me under the gas pedal).  The other car spun off to the right and they landed up on the curb.  It was weird to have to look around for them once the powder from the airbag dissipated.  I was so disoriented that it took me a few minutes to even realize my glasses were missing and I'm blind without them.  I knew right away that something wasn't right with my neck because I couldn't look to the right and my knees hurt from hitting the steering column.  A cop, multiple ambulances (there were 3 people in the other car) and some firetrucks showed up right away and I was put in a neck brace and onto a board without even getting out of my car.  It was awkward but they managed it somehow.  I just mainly remember the fact that it was raining on my face and there was nothing I could do about it.  Bill met me at the hospital where they took CT scans and x-rays and thankfully just diagnosed me with knee contusions and neck and back sprains.  I left in a soft neck brace and with good meds! 
The rest of the day, however, didn't get much better.  Neither of us had eaten anything all day, the cop still had my driver's license, my car was impounded somewhere with the Audrey's car seat still inside, we needed a rental car but I wasn't supposed to be driving and we had to get this all figured out before daycare closed at 6:00.  Bill had just come off of a 28 hour shift and just wanted to go home and go to sleep and I could barely walk and just wanted to go home and go to sleep!  But, we managed to get it all done. 
You have to hand it to Nissan.  I thought the damage would be much worse.

Today was pretty rough because I had to keep the girls home since the rental car didn't show up until late morning, not that I can drive anyway, and I am so unbelievably sore.  Even picking up Vivian was hard and she was extra needy today.  Audrey was so sweet though because Bill had told her I got hurt so she was a great helper and listener today.  I did get word that my car is not totaled and we'll get it back next Friday.  I'm just thanking God that I didn't get hurt any worse than I was and that the girls weren't in the car with me when it happened.  Everything could have been so much worse.  I'm very happy to be home now with my little family all safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Laura began this blog with the intention of someday chronicling our children's lives since our family is spread out from east coast to west. We wanted a way for family to get up-to-date news. Since we had no children at the time, it became a blog that followed our (her) foodie thoughts. Cooking, eating out and drinking wine are huge hobbies of ours so it only seemed fitting. Now that children are here we're going to attempt to meld the two together. You will notice "Foodies" and "Family" links at the top left of the page underneath the header photos. Use these links to focus in on the entries you want to read and bypass the others. We hope you enjoy.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP