Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Audrey Update & Sunbutter

I chatted with the doctor about Audrey's tonsils and weight when I took Viv in for her 2 month appointment.  They aren't going to take any further action right now on the tonsils because they don't seem to be causing any real problems.  The criteria for a tonsilectomy is if the child has 5 cases of strep throat within one year, has sleep apnea or other documented issues directly stemming from the tonsils.  From what I can tell, Audrey is a heavy breather at night with some snoring but I don't think she's a candidate otherwise.  Hopefully she'll end up like Bill - just a person with big tonsils!  We stopped the nose spray because it didn't seem to be working.  I tried to get another pic but Audrey wouldn't stop moving so they all turned out blurry.  If her tonsils have shrunk, it's not noticable anyway. 

Regarding her weight, the doc said that Audrey is only in the 3rd percentile but as long as we focus on getting her to eat good fats and proteins, she'll just check her again at her 3 year appointment.  I know that Audrey is up to 25 pounds so that's a good sign.  She's been eating like a horse too - corn on the cob (she'll eat a whole one!), BBQ ribs, spaghetti with meat sauce, chicken drumettes and, a new item in our arsenal, sunflower seed butter - aka Sunbutter. 
I am really bummed that Audrey can't eat peanut butter.  I feel like she's missing out on a major childhood food so I wanted to find an alternative.  I knew that using another nut butter was risky due to the chance of peanut cross contamination so I looked to see what else was available.  With soy butter or Sunbutter as the other options, I didn't hesitate to go with Sunbutter.  Imagine stuffing your mouth full of sunflower seeds and having it be SUPER sticky - that's pretty much what it tastes like.  It's actually really good and surprisngly, even stickier than peanut butter and with the same amount of protein and fat per serving.  Audrey seems to really like it so I think we've hit the jackpot.  She'll be tested again when she turns 3 to see if she's still allergic to peanuts so until then, Sunbutter and jelly sandwiches it is!  I'm also selfishly excited because we have a number of recipes that call for peanut butter that I pretty much wrote off.  I'm anxious to subsitute the Sunbutter and see if it works.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Laura,
    'Happy SunButter is fitting in! I blog for SunButter and am always looking for new recipes (which is how I found your lovely blog), so please do post recipes you try -- and how Audrey likes them! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog

Laura began this blog with the intention of someday chronicling our children's lives since our family is spread out from east coast to west. We wanted a way for family to get up-to-date news. Since we had no children at the time, it became a blog that followed our (her) foodie thoughts. Cooking, eating out and drinking wine are huge hobbies of ours so it only seemed fitting. Now that children are here we're going to attempt to meld the two together. You will notice "Foodies" and "Family" links at the top left of the page underneath the header photos. Use these links to focus in on the entries you want to read and bypass the others. We hope you enjoy.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP