Monday, March 23, 2009

Odds and Ends

I have been MIA lately because, let's be honest, I'm boring. We did eat some really good meals since I've talked to you last. We ate quail for the first time. The recipe actually called for squab but I called around and couldn't find any. A friendly neighborhood butcher recommended quail so we bought some. Those are some tiny little birds. Very tasty though and we were pleasantly surprised. I'll be interested in trying the recipe again with sqaub though. On a good note, while buying the quail, we noticed the store also had super cheap duck legs which of course we bought. We've only ever made duck breast so we're excited. We also noted that they sold whole pheasants and ducks. That may be too much food for just me and B but I can pack it away with the best of 'em.

Our good friends Sara and Matt were over for dinner early last week and we made Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Pomegranate Sauce. It was excellent and I've included the recipe below, courtesy of the Wine Lover's Cookbook by Sid Goldstein. If you're a faithful follower of this blog (HA! Who am I kidding, although if you've stuck with me this long, I'm grateful) you've heard this mentioned a couple of times and know it's on my list of Favorite Food Things. I believe that I have gotten at least 4 people to buy it - a co-worker as recently as this past Friday - and I can't recommend it enough. It's also where the above squab/quail recipe came from, this weekend we're making Grilled Lamb with Rustic Porcini Sauce and next week (I'm cheating on roulette) I've already chosen Grilled Flank Steak with Roasted Corn-Pancetta Salsa. Now if I could just find a good supplier for veal we'd be set for another handful of the book's recipes.

Sara and Matt are going to be our 1/4 of a cow buddies. Sara is trying to get us the hook up. I'm also hoping to get a 1/4-1/2 of a pig and 1/2 of a lamb. I think our deep freezer will readily step up to the challenge. Speaking of pig, I can't remember if I mentioned this after B's parent's were here but I had pork belly for the first time when we all went out to dinner. Holy God Almighty YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sent my compliments to the chef because I was loving this stuff. It was served with scallops and maybe some fruity type sauce? Honestly, all I really remember was the fatty bacon-like pork belly and it was all I could do to keep myself from picking the pieces up with my hands and licking my fingers. I think I have a new obsession.

On to the important stuff.....the WLCB (get it, Wine Lover's Cookbook? I love it!) said to serve this with couscous. Not being big couscous fans (B calls it crapcrap) we made a creamy risotto instead and think it was a great match. The only thing missing was a vegetable. Maybe serve with a wedge salad? Chunky blue cheese dressing, diced tomatoes and bacon bits.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Pomegranate Sauce
Recommended wine: Pinot Noir
Marinade:
  • 1/3 c red wine
  • 3/4 T olive oil
  • 1 T crushed star anise pods
  • 2 T chopped shallots
  • 1/4 t ground allspice
  • 1/3 t ground black pepper
2 pork tenderloins (about 2 1/2 lbs)
Sauce:
  • 2 T chopped shallots
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 c Pinot Noir
  • 1/2 c port
  • 2 T raspberry vinegar
  • 1/4 t whole mixed peppercorns
  • 1/4 c pomegranate concentrate (look in the health food aisle, that's where I found it)
  • 1/2 c orange juice
  • 1 1/2 c chicken stock
  • 3 whole star anise pods
  • 1 t honey
  • 2 tablespoons room temp butter
  • salt and pepper
garnish: mint sprigs

To make marinade, combine all ingredients in a large, sealable plastic bag and mix thoroughly. Add pork. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Remove pork and pat dry. Reserve marinade for basting.

To make sauce, in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat, saute shallots in oil for 2-3 minutes. Do not brown. Add the wine, port, vinegar and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half. Add pomegranate concentrate, orange juice, stock and anise and continue simmering until reduced by half again. Add honey. Remove from heat, remove anise and swirl in butter. Season to taste and keep warm.

Sear pork on hot grill for 3 minutes per side (we did 2 sides, not 4 and closed the lid the whole time) and then place in indirect heat (warming rack if your grill has one, if not, turn off one or two burners and move the meat to that side of the grill) until a thermometer reads 150 degrees, again closing the lid. Baste occasionally. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice.

To serve, plate risotto and place pork slices on top. Top with sauce and garnish with mint sprigs. Serves 4.

Risotto
  • 1 1/2 c risotto
  • 2 T chopped shallots
  • 3/4 c white wine
  • 2 T butter
  • 5-6 c chicken stock (room temperature or hot)
  • 2 handfuls parmeggiano-reggiano
In a large sauce pot over medium to medium high heat, melt butter. Add shallots and saute 3-4 minutes. Don't brown. Add risotto and roast 4 mintues. Add wine (this may steam up) and stir until absorbed. Turn heat up to high to bring to a boil. In 1/2 cup increments, add chicken stock and stir until absorbed. Keep doing so until risotto is creamy and sticky and not crunchy if you try a piece. Once ready, stir in cheese. This process takes about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Laura began this blog with the intention of someday chronicling our children's lives since our family is spread out from east coast to west. We wanted a way for family to get up-to-date news. Since we had no children at the time, it became a blog that followed our (her) foodie thoughts. Cooking, eating out and drinking wine are huge hobbies of ours so it only seemed fitting. Now that children are here we're going to attempt to meld the two together. You will notice "Foodies" and "Family" links at the top left of the page underneath the header photos. Use these links to focus in on the entries you want to read and bypass the others. We hope you enjoy.

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP